Monday 15 August 2011

Dealing With Car Horns

I was cycling along on Saturday, warming up for the cycle race on quiet roads around Gloucestershire. I was pretty close to one foot from the edge of the road (the width of a gutter). Earlier in the year I posted about cycling 1 metre from edge of road (as per DoT suggestion), but to be honest I don’t dare do that on many country roads. It was a good day for cycling, but without warning a car came from behind� beeping his horn. The reason was that there was a car coming the other direction, and this car wasn’t going to slow down, let alone wait. He was committed to passing me, despite an oncoming car in the other direction, and from his perspective, it was very inconsiderate that I had decided to be cycling at that particular point. To be honest, there wasn’t really anywhere to go closer to the edge of the road, if I had a box of reinforced steel I might have gone out to 1 metre from edge of road to make him slow down, but since I don’t have a reinforced metal protection, I just kept my line It was really very tight, [...]

Source: http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/cycling/dealing-with-car-horns/

cycling events 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment