Monday 6 February 2012

Park closures in California could hinder bicycle travel

When I reached the West Coast after bicycling across country in the 1980s, one of the coolest things I discovered was the fact that many parks had hike or bike camping.

The state parks where I stopped on the Pacific Coast Bicycle Trail, for instance, all had a reduced-rate area set aside for travelers on foot or bike.

As I rode up the coast, I remember several nights sitting around the fire ring sharing route news and swapping lies with fellow cyclists.



Now these parks are seriously threatened. In an attempt to balance its budget, California has plans to close 70 parks in the state; X's mark the parks on the above map ...

Source: http://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_archives/2012/2/1/4989992.html

cycling forums

No comments:

Post a Comment