Tuesday 8 May 2012

Something(s) Great.

Here in the publications department at Adventure Cycling, we just got our proof of the Adventure Cyclist May issue back from the printer.


These are my favorite days at work -- when the proofs come back. I love sitting down at a table covered in pages of print with my pen and sticky notes. Looking over every inch of every page for typos, cut-off drop shadows, photos we could bump up -- I get so excited. It really feels like we're making something, creating something special.

Then everyone gets together and we go over our finds and fix them. We package up the proof and send it off to the printer again, knowing that what they send us next will be a beautiful, complete issue.

It's all about the process.

At home, my bearded manfriend is building a bike. I've been helping here and there, but I'm not exactly the best bike mechanic. I didn't feel like it was really ever going to become something until he let me help paint the frame. It finally came alive for me.


This will become a bike that will carry someone through life, towards adventures. We are making something!

Newness and creation seem to be heavy in the air this time of year. When riding my bike to work in the mornings, through a rain-coated town, I can tell that even the weather is in the midst of a process ... plotting something great.

Photo 1: This is a spread from the May issue of Adventure Cyclist, which should start hitting members' mailboxes in a week or so. The photo featured was taken by Dan Burden. Become a member today and don't miss out on this great issue!

Photo 2: A self-portrait while painting bikes. I love this picture because I think I look like Shredder.


Stay tuned, I promise I will feature the actual bike being built later in this column.

--

ART + ADVENTURE = AWESOMENESS wishes to bring enthusiasm to your Mondays every other week. This column is written by Rachel Stevens, a graphic designer at Adventure Cycling Association.

Source: http://blog.adventurecycling.org/2012/04/somethings-great.html

cycling events

No comments:

Post a Comment