Wednesday 5 September 2012

The Mirror Man: Looking Forward

When I arrived at work Monday morning I learned that Chuck Harris, the Mirror Man, had passed away. Without thinking about it I immediately raised my hand to touch the glasses-mounted rearview mirror that I wore. Chuck made that mirror for me many years ago, one of more than 88,000 that he made by hand over five decades.

Since 1972 I?ve worn one of Chuck?s mirrors on my glasses almost every day whether topping a pass in Peru, riding a quiet backroad in England, or making the short commute to the office here in Missoula, Montana. I?ll continue to use my Chuck Harris mirror in the years ahead.

Chuck won?t be up there looking down on us. No, he will be gazing up into the firmament looking for ways to improve things with his quirky innovations. But he?ll be keeping an eye on us with his mirror.

A story about Chuck, called The Mirror Man of Gambier, appeared in the April 2011 issue of Adventure Cyclist. 

Facebook Memorial page for Chuck Harris has been set up in his honor.

Photo by Greg Siple. Chuck Harris outside his workshop.

--


GREG SIPLE is our art director and a co-founder of Adventure Cycling Association.

Source: http://blog.adventurecycling.org/2012/08/the-mirror-man-looking-forward.html

castelli cycling

No comments:

Post a Comment