Friday 22 June 2012

2012 Summer Bikepacking Gear List



This will be my 4th summer of bikepacking and, as with every year, I've got some changes in my gear system. New stuff, old reliables, and some test pieces thrown in to make sure I don't get too comfortable.

The most noticeable change this year is the lack of a backpack. I've been trying to get that weight off for a few years and, unless I stumble into a situation which calls for more space, I think I've finally managed it. The only riding condition where this would normally be a hindrance -- technical singletrack -- isn't a factor because my bike is not designed to rage, but crawl. And, I don't mind walking.


Summertime in western Montana and northern Idaho rarely produces all day drizzles or intense thunderstorms. Instead we get light, quick drizzles, if anything at all. And because of this, my thought has always been to have a light, quick clothing selection. No waterproof jacket. No waterproof pants. I'm not trying to stay dry, just warm. I'll dry out later if necessary.

Items I wear while moving are a mix of wind layers, fleece, and wool, with the exception being neoprene or waterproof socks in case my feet get cold. These vapor barriers make feet sweat tons, but keep them warm.

The biggest change in my clothing system is the addition of a down vest which I'm using as I do a belay jacket in winter: my warmest layer for kicking around at camp, and to augment my sleeping bag's rating. In the past I've always used a synthetic piece for this function, but I decided to go with down this year (I may regret it).

Shoes will either be a minimalist trail runner with platforms or beefy mountain-bike specifics when riding clipless.


From there it's all the basics: tool kit, repair/first-aid kit, camera, map, Aqua Mira, bottles, fire starter kit, headlamp, etc.

Check out my full bikepacking gear list (PDF). Keep in mind, it's always changing. And, I'd be stoked to hear some suggestions.

Photos by Casey Greene

Photo 1: Packing up on Rock Creek. My bike on the right. Courtney's on the left.
Photo 2: Clothing choices.
Photo 3: Sleep and shelter: MH Mtn Speed 32 sleeping bag, Thermarest ProLite S, BD Twilight Bivy.
Note: A version of this post first appeared on Casey's blog

--

BIKEPACKER is written by Casey Greene and Paul Hansbarger -- Adventure Cycling staff, part-time adventure seekers and gear nerds alike. It appears on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month.

Source: http://blog.adventurecycling.org/2012/06/2012-summer-bikepacking-gear-list.html

cycling shop

No comments:

Post a Comment