Thursday 29 March 2012

More Wall Photos


As I wrote last week, walls have always fascinated me. It boggles my mind to imagine how many walls I've leaned my bike against. And the closer I get to a wall, the better I like the view. The photo above is from a temple in Luang Probang, Laos. I gazed up at this wall long enough to put a crick in my neck that lasted for days.

Many walls can look mundane from a distance. Their beauty is revealed only upon closer inspection. As in this wall in Colombia.


Or this one in Venezuela.


But there is always an exception. This photo reveals a not-so-spectacular wall of green. That is, until you step back.


When we rounded a corner in Madrid, the green wall literally took our breath away. The building to the left is CaixaForum, a post-modern art gallery.


The green wall is an art installation by French botanist Patrick Blanc secured to the wall of an adjacent building. A garden hanging in the air in one of the largest cities in Europe.


As much as I like walls. This is the only wall I've wanted to visit on a daily basis. I miss this wall. I want one in my city. And I promise not to lean my bike against it.

Photos: Laos, Colombia, Venezuela, Spain by Willie Weir

--

SIGHTS AND SOUNDS appears on Friday afternoons. Willie Weir is a columnist for Adventure Cyclist magazine. His latest book Travels with Willie: Adventure Cyclist will inspire you to hit the road and just might change the way you approach bicycle travel. He lives in Seattle with his wife Kat. You can read about their local adventures and life without a car at http://YellowTentAdventures.com/.

Source: http://blog.adventurecycling.org/2012/03/more-wall-photos.html

craft cycling

No comments:

Post a Comment